Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

Only Above

"The Lord knows the thoughts of man, that they are futile." Psalm 94 NKJV


Back in school after a long break, I've been spending an enormous amount of time reading. While I can't say that Christopher Columbus' letters or William Bradford's Of Plymouth Plantation 1620 - 1647
 have been my favorite pieces of literature I've been struck by the pervasiveness and sincerity of  the Christian Faith is the early colonizer's writing.

It's made me question if their's was a greater faith than ours. As a whole. As a people.

Their faith seemed to color the way they viewed their world in a much more tangible, trusting way than is easily evident today.


Reading, A Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration of Mary Rowlandson, I was touched by the simple way this woman's faith carried her through her ordeal. Held prisoner by Native Americans, she found great comfort in scripture, citing verses continually throughout her prose. Never did it seem as though she questioned God. She accepted her hardships and held onto a hope that God would deliver. And she portrayed this as though this was the most natural thing in the world. As if to question God would never have occurred to her.

Separatists and others who came to America for religious freedom also wrote in such a manner, as did poets such as Anne Bradstreet and Edward Taylor.  Bradstreet and Taylor both wrote poems regarding the death of children and both, though they expressed sadness, seemed to understand more easily than we can, that God both gives and takes away.

Perhaps, we live a life where we are spoiled (or blessed) in health and wealth and so when the rain falls on the righteous and the unrighteous alike, we become indignant.  With the distractions and the opportunities of life today, we must make a greater effort to include God.  And often when we do include Him, we rail on about the unfairness of the life he's given us.  Or maybe that's just me.

I know that of late, I have been seeking God's face. And I want answers.  Much of the time I'm not even sure what I'm inquiring of Him. Other than, "What do you want from me?" And maybe that's been code for, "My life sucks right now.  Explain yourself!"

But He doesn't have to. It rains.  On all. And perhaps I've forgotten to be content in all things. Maybe I've forgotten to pick up my cross.

And what better day to be reminded than Good Friday?

"Here's neither honor,wealth, nor safety; Only above is found all with security." -Anne Bradstreet







Faith Filled Friday

1 comment:

  1. I think we all go through the "My life sucks right now" stage. But when we really consider Christ's sacrifice for us and the blessings of being a child of God, we've really not got much to complain about. Thanks for this reminder....

    ReplyDelete

Labels




On In Around button
holy experience

Average Housewife

Confessions of a Housewife

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother to six beautiful children (three boy, three girls) and married to a wonderful, incredibly patient and loving man. We homeschool and do life together and it's messy and full of grace.