Pages

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Camping and Friends

So grumpy, with nothing really to be grumpy about. I'm just ready to be done with the day even though the day was fine. We were at the campground for the last seven hours. I guess, I just have to admit that I'm not so much the outdoorsy type. I'd much rather be at home. I'm a homebody. I can only take so long away.

It was cute though to watch the kids make friends. We're right by a playground, and so tons of kids gravitated toward our area. Before long, Verity was holding hands with a girl who looked only about a year older than her. When the girl's mom came and called for her to come in for dinner, the mom said about Verity, "She's looking at me like I'm the meanest lady ever." Verity was giving her famous look. She'll stare you down and you almost don't want to know what's going on in that little head of hers. I went up to her to comfort her and asked, "Did your friend have to go bye-bye?" She nodded and said, "That's my girl." I love how children can make friends so quickly.

A boy from True's baseball team showed up a little later at the campground right next to ours. Even though baseball's been over for two months they took right back up with each other. And yet, his mother who I sat next to, for what a million games, didn't even look my way. To be fair, we didn't talk during the season either. Maybe she's like me. Not unfriendly once you get to know her, but not one to make the first move.

What happens to us as adults? How do we lose that ease for making friends? I guess we can't just go and take the other's hand, titling them, "my girl." But what do we do then? Maybe I'm the only one with this problem. I don't even think this woman is someone I care about being friends with. But how can I decide that when I've never even tried? Bottom line, I just don't like to make the first move.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels




On In Around button
holy experience

Average Housewife

Confessions of a Housewife

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother to six beautiful children (three boy, three girls) and married to a wonderful, incredibly patient and loving man. We homeschool and do life together and it's messy and full of grace.