Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Needing More of God

I'm thinking I might have to change the name of my blog to something akin to "weatheringthroughthemothering" or some other sort of play on the weather since I seem to not be able to stop myself from starting almost every post with a reference of some sort to the climate.

So, let's just get that mandatory comment out of the way, shall we? Another beautiful day!! I feel like singing, "I can see clearly now....the SNOW is gone!"

I am in such a happy mood. And I have so many ideas flowing through my head. I thought I'd write on my distress with the fact that Border's has filed bankruptcy but I might save that one for a rainy day.

What is taking priority in my mind is the comment a good friend made on yesterday's post. My friend who is Jewish - I've mentioned her before.

While I don't agree with her on many things, I love her for her goodness and her kindness and her heart that shines (like the sun!). I, too want my light to shine forth. (Matthew 5:16).

We could debate theology, her and I, you and I. We could speak on issues of adoption, creation, being born sinful, the liberty to judge versus the call to not. And on all of these subjects, I have strong beliefs. Firm beliefs. But with all of my faith and with all that God has entrusted to me, I really just want to master how to love. Because this is the greatest commandment. (Matthew 22:36-40).

I believe fully, wholly, in the Apostle's Creed. One hundred percent.

But I have also determined that I desire not to be a theologian but a saint.

A.W. Tozer in The Pursuit of God says,
"God will not hold us responsible to understand the mysteries of election,
predestination and the divine sovereignty. The best and safest way to deal
with these truths is to raise our eyes to God and in deepest reverence say, 'O
Lord, Thou knowest.' Those things belong to the deep and mysterious Profound of
God's omniscience. Prying into them may make theologians, but it will
never make saints."

Couldn't we add many issues to Tozer's list to take up where he left off right after 'divine sovereignty'? We could and people have.

But I know my heart just a little bit, and I know that for right now, my heart really needs to learn love and servanthood. It does not need to debate.

I believe in one Truth. But I believe that the Truth must be given in Love. (Ephesians 4:15)

My friend said in her comment that, "we need God in order to really feel love for each other."

Yes, we all need God. I need more of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels




On In Around button
holy experience

Average Housewife

Confessions of a Housewife

About Me

My photo
I'm a mother to six beautiful children (three boy, three girls) and married to a wonderful, incredibly patient and loving man. We homeschool and do life together and it's messy and full of grace.